The contribution of PWD encompasses the entire spectrum of physical and social infrastructure for national development, national security and international relations. Its activities span the length and breadth of the country including remote areas and difficult terrain. The main responsibilities of PWD are shown in following list. It may be mentioned here that the architectural plans and designs of almost all Government infrastructural projects are done by the Department of Architecture in close consultation with PWD.
WORKING ARENA OF PWD
- Construction and maintenance of government buildings and establishments.
- Ensure proper maintenance and management of government quarantined properties.
- Maintain the standard and quality of construction materials.
- Construction and Maintenance of other Government Structures including KPI Installations.
- Prepare structural and electromechanical design of government installations.
- Reconstruction, maintenance and renovation of Various Monuments and Historical Buildings.
- Maintenance and Development of Public Parks.
- Fix the rate of rent of government office and residential building.
- Collection of Non Tax Revenue.
- Prepare the Rate of Schedule of Civil and E/M Work.